Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
This savory dish will clear your sinuses in the most wonderful way.
(Makes 12 servings)
• 2 onions, peeled and quartered
• 1 whole pork butt
(pork shoulder roast)
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• One 11-ounce can chipotle chiles in
• Two 12-ounce cans Dr Pepper
• 4 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
Preheat oven to 300°F. Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a pot, and place the pork butt on top of the onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the chipotle chiles over the top, then the cans of Dr Pepper. Add the brown sugar to the liquid, stirring slightly to combine.
Cover the pot and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping the roast 2 to 3 times during the cooking process. It should be fork-tender when done. (If the pork does not easily pull apart with forks, return it to the oven in 30-minute intervals until done.) Remove the roast from the pot and shred it completely, spoon the fat from the top of the liquid in the pot, then return the meat to the pot and keep it in the juice until ready to serve.
• Pile it on a toasted deli roll.
• Pile it on nachos.
• Use it to fill tacos or quesadillas.
• Use it as a pizza topping.
• Serve as is with mashed potatoes.