Guests of Drowsy Water Ranch in Granby, Colo., look forward to all-day rides for a variety of reasons: the beautiful vistas, loping through mountain meadows, spending an entire day in the saddle, wildlife encounters, and, not least of all, the delicious cowboy cookies. Nothing tastes quite as good after a long ride than one of these sweet treats, straight from the saddle bag and eaten while overlooking a beautiful mountain vista.
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup butter
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• 2 cups flour
• 2 cups old fashioned oats
• 6 oz. chocolate chips
• chopped pecans or walnuts to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Beat eggs, both sugars, butter, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, and oats.
4) Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir well.
5) Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Dough will be stiff.
6) Roll ¼-cupfuls of the dough into balls and place onto a greased baking sheet with 3–4 inches between each cookie.
7) Bake for 10–15 minutes until edges are golden brown but the middle is still spongy. Let cool before eating.